|Mayor||Marco Bucci (center-right independent) from 27-6-2017|
|Coordinates||44°24′25.87″N 8°56′02.34″E / 44.407186°N 8.933983°E 44.407186; 8,933983 (Genoa)|
|Inhabitants||571 261 (31-5-2020)|
|Density||2 377.38 ab./km²|
|Fractions||see Quarters and fractions of Genoa and Municipalities of Genoa|
|Neighboring municipalities||Arenzano, Bargalle, Bogliasco, Bosio (AL), Campomorone, Ceranesi, Davagna, Masone, Apples, Mignanego, Montoggio, Sant'Olcese, Sassello (SV), Serra Riccò, Sori, Tiglieto, Urbe (SV)|
|Seismic||zone 3 (low seismic)|
|Climate Cl.||zone D, 1 435 GG|
|Patron||San Giovanni Battista|
|Nickname||The Superba, The Dominant|
Position of the municipality of Genoa in the same metropolitan city
Genoa (, AFI: /ˈ ʤ nova/ , locally /ˈ and ː nova/ , in ligure Zena /ˈ zeʤ/Z) is an Italian municipality of 571 261 inhabitants, the center of an urban conurbation of 835 829 inhabitants and the heart of a large metropolitan area of more than 1 500 000 inhabitants and the capital of the town The town of Liguria and the town of Liguria. It is the largest and most populous common of the region.
Affected by the Ligure Sea, which has been the capital of the republic for more than eight centuries, its history is linked to sailor, trade, industry and banking. Its port, the largest in Italy, is one of the most important at European level. The city has been part of the Milan-Turin-Genova industrial triangle and is still one of the most important economic centers in Italy.
In 2004 it was the European Capital of Culture, and since 2006 it has been part of its historic center, the New Streets and the Roll-House System, among UNESCO World Heritage sites. The city's "physical" symbol is its lighthouse, known as the Lantern, while it is traditionally represented by the cross of St George, in the coats of arms under the patronage of two gridlines.
The city is located in the central and inner part of the homonymous Gulf bordering the Ligure Sea. It is situated between the coast and the Appennino Ligure Genovese, which has an average height of approximately 1200 m.s.l.m. It consists of rocks that can be easily eroded, with rounded heights and steep slopes engraved by steep valleys. In valleys which develop in a predominantly longitudinal manner, the streams such as Polcevera and Bisagno and, outside the communal territory, the Whiteboard, which, for the sake of the brevity of the sea side, never reach significant lengths. The uneven distribution of rains, the impermeable nature of the soil and the hydrogeological disruption that characterizes urban areas, have contributed to the irregular regime of these watercourses, which alternate with sudden and violent floods with lean periods. The town's climate, which partially blocks the cold winds from the north, allows for sunny, bright winters with lower temperatures than in Milan or Turin, and warm, non-hot summers due to the sea breezes and rains that are close to 1000 mm a year.
The territory of the municipality of Genoa extends for 240,29 km² to the center of the homonymous Gulf and develops on a coastal strip some thirty kilometers long, from Voltri to Nerve, with almost equal development from bridges to levante, with hints, even of considerable height, being placed on its shoulders near the sea. With its Gulf, coast and hills, the territory is alternating with natural landscapes and environmental characteristics.
The coastal area of the ponent, now heavily urbanized and serving the industry and the port, in pre-industrial times had the main beaches of the current communal territory: Sestri, Cornigliano and Sampierdarena
The urban area, along the coast, passes inwards along the peaks of the Polish value in ponente and the value of the Bisagno in Levante, forming a sort of overturned Greek Pi. The first larger, almost straight and perpendicular to the coast, the second with a straight-facing path between Struppa and Molassana and then southwest to the Foce.
While the Polcevera and the Bisagon valleys or the West Coast from Sampierdarena to Voltri, scattered with residential and industrial complexes, or the East coast from Albaro to Nerve, even if it is scarce and fragmented due to a different orographic situation, there are still culturally autonomous urban centers corresponding to the municipalities incorporated in 1926 in the Great Genre It is a new but still very distinctive one in the fabric of modern administrative conurbation.
The breakdown of the communal territory into five areas is outlined: The center, the Polcevera Valley, the Bisagon, the bridge and the levant.
- The oldest part of the city until the Constitution of the Grand Genoa represented the entire communal territory, and is enclosed within the hillside amphitheater crowned by the Sixteenth Century walls; The urbanized area also extends vertically, from the port to the residential areas of Carignan and Castelletto, linked with the center by steep pedestrian paths called "crêuze", public and funicular elevators, and by complex road development. The historic center is characterized by the massive urbanization of the territory and the central presence of the port, which with its structures completely occupies the sea. Over the centuries, but above all between the 19th and 20th centuries, old historic esters have emerged on the hills above, such as Carignan and Castelletto, but also popular districts, such as Lagaccio and Oqueen, which have incorporated some of the pre-existing boroughs such as Granarolo. Only the summation of the hill has been preserved by cementation, thanks to the presence of military services linked to the complex of walls and fortifications and the most recent development of these artifacts since their removal from the military domain. In the administrative distribution in force since 2007, the center is divided into two "municipalities". Municipal I - Centro EST includes the oldest neighborhoods of the city and the hilly areas of the eight-nineteenth century urban expansion, and Municipal II - Centro West includes part of the old estuary of San Teodoro, which was joined by Sampierdarena, the main industrial city outside the walls, which was incorporated in 1926.
- The Polcevera value has developed perpendicular to the coast line, with a rather linear trend, and has always been the main route of access to Genoa from the Po Plain, once through the Apennine steps of the Youth and the Bocchetta, to which the two railway lines for Turin and Milan and in the 20th century the A7 motorway have been added. It is a wide, sunny valley, formed by the meeting of the Green and Riccò streams in Pontedecimo. The left bank is the most densely populated bank, both along the stream and in the hilly neighborhoods. the right bank is mainly occupied by industrial activities, warehouses and shopping centers. Hillside countries of ancient origin, such as Cesino, San Biagio Murta, Trasta and Fegino, on the right-hand side, Morego, Kremeno, Brazil, Geminiano and Begato, Garbo and Fregoso, survive on the left side of the hills; all of these countries were in the crossroads of Apennine, which preferred the hillside routes over the valley floor, which was made very treacherous by the frequent flooding of the streams. The valley is dominated by Mount Figunya (804m), on the top of which the shrine of Our Lady of Guardia stands. La val Polcevera, formed by the former districts of Rivarolo, Bolzaneto and Pontedecimo, forms the district of V - Valpolcevera.
- The city head is a thin flat on the back of which the mountains rise above 1000 m and culminate in Mount Reixa (1183 m), the highest point of the communal territory, which reaches and in some places passes the Apennine watershed (at the top of the Stura torrent), and arrives at the border (unique) Ligure among those with access to the sea) directly with Piedmont (municipality of Bosio). Over the centuries, the birthplace of the families of the patriarchs of Genoa (among others, the Duchess villa of Galliera in Voltri, the Durazzo-Pallavicini villa in Pelor and the Durazzo Bombrini villa in Cornigliano), the ponent was mostly sacrificed during the 20th century for the development of heavy industry (steel, chemistry, cantifying and the port of Pra, which ended up occupying almost entirely the coastline with its infrastructure. Remaining stretches of the beach remain in Peli, Multedo and Voltri. Since the 192000's, efforts have been made to balance livability and progress, such as the recovery of the so-called ‘respect belt’ of Pra, the conversion of the former steel areas of Cornigliano, and the ambitious project of the scientific technological park on the Erzelli Hill, the high-rise between Cornigliano and Sestri Ponente. In the ponent's valleys, there are numerous testimonies from the first modern age manufacturing activities, such as paper mills and lime quarries, surrounded by the remains of the old agricultural lands, as well as the Polcevera and the Bisagno valley. The ponent is divided between the VI - Middle East (Cornigliano and Sestri Ponente) and the VII - Ponente (Peli, Pra and Voltri).
- The Bisagon has a snowy trajectory and is tighter in its mountains than the Polcevera Valley. The stream enters the communal territory at the height of Prato, in the Struppa neighborhood, and travels on a stretch towards the headquarters of Molassana, towards the district of Staglieno in a southwestern direction. In this first section, most of the inhabitants stand on the right bank of the stream, which is most exposed to the sun, where there are many fractions which have largely preserved their rural appearance. The lower part of the valley, incorporated in the municipality of Genoa with the first expansion in 1873, was immediately intended to host infrastructure linked to public services: This was where Luigi Ferraris Stadium, Marassi Prison, Staglieno monumental cemetery, gas workshops, public slaughter and the fruit and vegetable market took over from 2009 to Bolzaneto. There are two separate fortification systems built between the 18TH and 19th centuries on the ridge bordering the valley on both sides: the first, on the right bank, between the strong Speron and the strong Diamond; The second on the Quezzi heights. After the Staglieno cemetery, the landscape becomes more urban: The Bisagno, clutched between the buildings, scrolls into the tombstone, leaking near the Genoa Fair. The hills of the Bisagon Valley, on the right-hand side, are crossed by the historic aqueduct, which until the end of the 19th century guaranteed water supplies to the city by drawing water from the Bisagon and its tributaries. The value Bisagno is divided between the municipality III - Lower Valbisagno (San Fruttuoso e Marassi) and the municipality IV - Media Valbisagno (Staglieno and Molassana and Struppa).
- The rising citizen, an old holiday home of Genoa's patriotic families and now a residential area of high value, has kept its coast almost intact, rich in information, on which the intact seaboards such as Boccadasse and Vernazzola, and of reefs, traveled by splendid walks like Nerve's, appear intact. In the background the Mount Fasce (846m), which protects this part of the city with its nearby Mount Bastia from cold winds in the east and from the sunset, from the peak of which a wide view of the entire heighty citizen can be enjoyed. The Levante is divided between the municipality VIII - Middle Levant (Foce, Albaro and San Martino) and the municipality IX - Levante (Valle Sturla, Quarto, Fifth and Nerve).
The town area has a rather complex orography, with several valleys coming down to the sea from the Ligurian-Padano watershed or its contraffides, separated by crinals with mountainous terrain of between 400 and 1200 meters high between 6 and 10 kilometers from the sea. Istat classifies the municipality as belonging to the "coastal mountain" altimetry area (with terrain altitudes above 600 m).
The most significant findings are in the ponent area, in particular on the right side of the river Cerusa, surrounded by Mount Reixa, which is 1183 m higher than the town and the Bric del Dente (1107 m).
Another important mountain system is, again, the one along the ridge between the Varenna valleys and the valleys of the Branega and Acquasanta streams, behind the coast of Pgli, Pra' and Voltri, culminating in the Upper Plateau of Penello (996 m) and the Martin point (1001 m). It is an area characterized by steep rocky valleys culminating along the ridge in vast grasslands with rocky outflows. At the Varenna valley warhead, the Mt. Proratado (928 m) stands on the ridge with the val Polcevera.
Another important point of the ponent is Mt. Gazzo (419m), which dominates the inhabited area of Sestri Ponente and on whose summit the shrine of Our Lady of the Gazzo is situated. The mountain has been the subject of a considerable extraction of limestone, which has significantly altered its original appearance, and has also destroyed many of the caves which opened up in its flanks.
The valleys of Polcevera and the Bisagon have measurements at or above 1100 m (Mt Taccone and Mt. Leco), but the territory of Genoa contains only the lower part of these valleys, with the lower height of the valleys on the lateral dorsalts. The 804m mountain of Fiji, on which the shrine of Our Lady of Guardia is situated, entirely within the Polcevera Valley, which characterizes the landscape of the entire valley, is also located in the municipality of Ceranesi. Along the back of ponente, between Polcevera and Chiaravagna, the major areas included in the municipality of Genoa are the Teiolo mountains (660 m) and Rocca dei Corvi (582 m). After that, the dorsal comes down rapidly, touching Borzoli and ending up with the hills of Coronata and the Erzels, which face Cornigliano.
The dorsal between the two major valleys departures from the Apennine watershed at the Mt. Alpe (800 m), which is included in the municipality of Genoa only from the side of the value Bisagno. The greatest prominence in this section, the Diamond Mountain (672 m), on which the strong homonym stands, is part of the municipality of Sant'Olcese, while in the municipality of Genoa the Mount Spino (622 m), a counterpart to the Val Polcevera, on which the strong Little Brother is located. The ridge gradually drops from altitude to Mount Peralto (489 m), where the strong Sperone is located. From this height, which is the highest point of the hillside amphitheater surrounding the historical center of Genoa, the two dorsal trees, crowned by the 600s, spread out. The polceverasca, a ponent, with the strong Begato, Tenaglia and Crocetta, ends with the hills of Belvedere and the Angels, which had once continued with the hills of St Benigno, completely broken in the first half of the 20th century, which closed the circle of walls at the Lantern.
The back facing the Bisagon, with the strong Castellaccio and the high of the Righi, also gradually descends to the Plain of the Bisagon and ends with the Colle of Carignano, facing the port and the area of the Foce.
The entire area around the 600s wall walls converging on the strong Sperone constitutes the "urban park of the walls".
In the case of the Bisagno Valley, the town area of Struppa reaches the Apennine watershed, with the glue of Creto (603 m) leading up to the Upper Desk Valley, and some significant findings, such as Mount Alpe, Mt Alpesisa (989 m) and Mt Lake (941 m). On the opposite side, which divides the Bisagno valley from the Sturla valley, the main relief is Mount Ratti (560 m), with the same strong name. This ridge, with a series of hillside fortifications, however, not linked by a wall wall (fort Richelieu, strong Quezzi and tower, strong Santa Tecla, strong San Martino), gradually descends towards the Albaro Hill and ends at sea with the strong San Giuliano and with its non-urbanized part constitutes the "Urban Park of the Forts".
All the hillside fortifications within the two urban parks show the image of Genoa from different points of view and represent an exceptional historical and landscape value.
The Genovese Levant is characterized by the background of the Mount Fasce (834 m), which is the origin of the valleys of the various streams in the area. In the highest areas, the territory is sour, with steep slopes and rocky outbursts. The suburbs on the south show arid grasslands and are now without settlements, while isolated remnants of small buildings testify to an ancient agricultural use of these marginal territories. The slopes quickly rise with a series of strongholds to the sea. The best known of these is Mount Moro (412m), just above the Nerve, where the remains of a battery that was part of the Coastal Defense System during World War II are found.
The city's territory and valleys are run by streams with basins of different importance. The largest of these are the Polcevera valleys, west of the center, with an enlarged basin and a straight route to the sea, and, to the east, the Bisagon from the narrowest basin and more tortuous course. The city has developed urbanistically in these two valleys with residential neighborhoods, productive settlements and infrastructure.
In the Bisagon, the main influential is the Fereggian, which crosses Quezzi and Marassi, but there are many smaller tributaries: On the right-hand side, Canate, Torbido, Geirato, Trensasco, Cicala and Veilino, on the left, in addition to the Wire, Lentro, Mermi and Noce, the latter entirely covered.
In the Polcevera Valley, there are few tributaries in the territory of Genoa (including Burba and Geminiano in Bolzaneto, the Plego in Borzoli, Torbella and Maltime in Rivarolo), while the main influencers (Green, Riccò and Dry) flow almost entirely outside the commune.
The town bridge includes the Chiaravagna in Sestri Ponente, the Cerusa and the Leira in Voltri, the Branega and St Peter in Pra, the Varenna in Pgli and Multedo.
The main streams in the Rising are the Sturla in whose valley the neighborhoods of Bavari, San Desiderio, Borgoratti and Sturla are included, as are the districts of Bavari, San Desiderio, and the Nervra which crosses the same neighborhood, as well as the minor Rifes Vernazza, Priaruggia, Castagna and Bagnara.
The area of the historic center, almost completely urbanized, is divided among the basins of many but brief streams of water that descend from the hills below. The main rivers are San Bartholomew, San Lazarus, San Teodoro, Lagaccio, Sant'Ugo, Santa Brigida, Carbonara, St. Anna and Rio Torbido, which run through tombstones beneath the streets of the various neighborhoods, with the exception of the sections upstream of the rio Lagaccio and the rio San Lazarus.
The seismic classification places the territory in zone 3 and zone 4 with low and very-low seismic activity. In some background (The Citizen, People's Daily, February 24, 1887) there are reports of major earthquakes, such as that of February 23, 1887.
According to the Köppen classification, Genoa, in its coastal zone, belongs to the Cfa and Csa area, i.e. the Mediterranean climate, with warm summer and average temperature above +22 °C, rainfall of less than 30 mm during the hottest summer month. In the valleys and in most of the territory, the Cfsa climate zone with a temperate climate transition to the Mediterranean, where the rainfall is greater than 30 mm, is increased. Over 500 m of altitude, the climate zone passes to Cfsb with a warm summer climate, with an average temperature below +22 °C. According to the climate classification, which regulates the ignition of heating systems, it is in climate zone D, 1435 GG (ignition from 1 November to 15 April, with 12 hours per day).
Thanks to its environmental position in the center of the Gulf, on the sea, sheltered from the mountains and exposed at noon, it enjoys a Mediterranean climate which is favorable. The heat excursion between the maximum daytime temperature and the minimum night time temperature is low, on average between 6 °C and 7 °C.
The morphology of the territory and the distance from the coast can make the temperature vary from zone to zone of some degrees, with milder temperatures on the coast. On average, three or four hail-storms per year occur depending on the climate, and more rarely snowfall, especially in the interior or hilly areas. Although the winter climate of Genoa is mild, due to the phenomenon of "dark trammel", the snowfalls can also be relatively heavy, with accumulations that are not rare to exceed 30 cm in inner valleys, while more modest are generally in the city. But the snow usually melts in the space of one, two days with rising temperatures, sometimes even within a few hours. The wind, on average, has a speed of 2.5 m/s and makes the city ventilated. The humidity is lower during the winter, while the wettest month on average is in June. As a result of the rainfall, the average Mediterranean climates is falling. However, over the years, there have been some sudden episodes of extreme magnitude, which, with their intensity and duration, have caused some floods in different parts of the city. It's a sunny city, with an average of 13.8 MJ/m and an average of 16 days of clear sky in a month.
For recorded temperatures, the days of 13 February 1929, -7,0 °C and 8 January 1985, -6,0 °C for minimum and a maximum of 7 August 2015 at 38,7 °C shall be recalled; (DICCA Meteo Villa Changaso Station -.
|T max. average (°C)||11.0||12.0||14.0||17.0||21.0||24.0||27.0||27.0||24.0||20.0||15.0||12.0||11.7||17.3||26.0||19.7||18.7|
|T min average (°C)||5.0||6.0||8.0||11.0||14.0||18.0||21.0||21.0||18.0||14.0||9.0||6.0||5.7||11.0||20.0||13.7||12.6|
|Precipitation (mm)||106.0||95.0||106.0||85.0||76.0||53.0||27.0||81.0||99.0||153.0||111.0||81.0||282.0||267.0||161.0||363.0||1 073.0|
|Average Relative Humidity (%)||61||63||61||70||71||71||67||66||66||66||64||64||62.7||67.3||68||65.3||65.8|
The origin of the name "Genoa", derived from the Latin Genua, is traced to an Indo-European root geneu- ("knee") or genu- ("jaw, mouth"); genu-would be an allusion to the mouth of one of the ancient watercourses of the site or the form of settlement on the sea; The fact that many linguists consider Genua and Genaua (Geneva) variants of the same name is corroborating the evidence. The discovery of a bronze-aged village in Brignole Square, the 5000 BC palafitta in Victory Square and the Etruscan necropolis at the Acquasola confirmed that the first settlements in Genoa stood on the right bank of the stream Bisagno, and according to archeologist Filippo Maria Gambari, this would prove it The origin of the city's name from Genaua, the Celtic-ligure term of the Iron Age with the meaning of "mouth", precisely because it was born as a river port.
During the Middle Ages, the toponym was altered in Ianua, Latin for "entrance door", "passage", and this gave rise to the legend that the city wants to take its name from the Roman god Giano Giano, protector of doors, because just like the Giano Bifrontas, Genoa has two faces: One revolt towards the sea, the other beyond the mountains surrounding it. The legend of Giano is reproduced by an epigraphy located in the Cathedral of St. Lawrence under the head of Giano, with the inscription Janus, primus rex Italiae de progenie gigantum, here (i.e.: Giano, the first king of Italy of the race of giants, who founded Genoa in the time of Abraham) by mixing legends and antiques of different origins.
According to other theories, the origin of the name could be traced to an Etruscan word, found on a jar shell, containing the words Kainua, which in Etruscan would mean "new city", or derived from Xenos (Ξ έ ο), "foreigner", which is understood as a place of reunion for foreigners, characteristic of a port city.
The story of Genoa is the story of its inhabitants who were (or were defined), at the same time, masters of the sea, merchants and warriors capable, if necessary, of unprecedented ferocity. I am able to give birth, in a period of dominance, to a republic of its own, the Republic of Genoa, which was born of the free common, and which was reunited in eight centuries on various forms of government: From consular to dogal to oligarchic. His policy was, however, always based on a regional plan, studied and continued from the outset, based, above all, on the influence of the powerful families that were able to draw their power from the economic availability derived from merchant activity.
The dominance over the Ligure and the construction of a large, military and merchantable fleet was vital in order to give impetus to the emergence of a state which for more than four hundred years based its existence on diplomacy and neutrality, as well as trade. On the ground, the city tried, not always successfully, to maintain control of the territories of the Oltregiogo, which guaranteed communication, including commercial communication, with the territories of the Po Plain and the kingdoms present there.
The anonymous-authoritarian saying "Genuensis, ergo mercator", meaning "Genovese and merchant", was a wonderful synthesis of that famous haggling in the world on which the Genovese founded a colonial empire founded upon overseas colonies that went from Iraq to the Canary Islands, from England to Palestine (reached since the First Crusade). in its fist, the whole of the western Mediterranean and the Black Sea, defined as Lake Genoa, and holding its head when not placing three empires under its control: the swiss, the Byzantine and the Habsburg, the latter of which the genoese controlled the economy and trade. Coffee, Sulks, Tana, Chio, Focea, Mytilene, Pera are just a few of the many Genoa merchants that Superba merchants made shrink into business.
In 1797, the long wave of the French Revolution also hit the republic, which paid for its neutrality under unsustainable external pressures that led to its occupation in 1805 and its subsequent annexation to the Napoleonic Empire. During the French occupation, various works of art took the route to France because of Napoleonic spoliation. According to the Canova catalog, of the 9 works of art from Genoa, only six returned to Italy after the Vienna Congress. Interestingly, an anecdote occurred during the repatriation of the martyrdom of St Stephen of Giulio Romano to the city of Genoa, when Vivant Denon, the director of the Louvre, argued that the work had been "offered to the French Government by the town council of Genoa" and that transport would jeopardize the fragility of the work, knowing that the work had been confiscated substantially as a cultural tribute and giving At the same time, the French Ministry of Interior has ordered that the work be stopped at customs without mentioning its fragility or criticizing the lawfulness of the Piedmont bodies.
In 1814, following the capitulation of Paris, Genoa was occupied by the British Navy, which formed a provisional government, fearing a return to the status quo ante. In 1815, however, the European powers, largely debtors of the ancient St George's Banco, decided to suppress the republic and join the Kingdom of Sardinia, despite the desperate attempts of Foreign Minister Antonio Brignole Sale in Vienna to maintain independence.
In 1849, the troops of Savoy, under the orders of General Alfonso La Marmora, after suppressing an insurrection caused by popular dissatisfaction, became responsible for murders, robberies, and rape of defenseless citizens.
Although not officially institutionalized, Genoa's area of influence extends, for historical, linguistic, cultural, economic and infrastructure reasons, beyond the entire city of Genoa and beyond the neighboring liguri of La Spezia and Savona, the Alessandrine plain, the areas of the Oltregiogo (Novi Ligure), the Lower Piemonte and the Bobbio area (in) province of Piacenza).
Genoa and her defenses: a description of 1800
In her work The History of the Genoa Blockade in 1800, Angelo Petracchi, a commentator on the city siege, gives a detailed description of Genoa and its defenses during the period of the Republic Ligure:
"The city of Genoa is situated on the back of a mountain and supports its aquifers on the shore of the Ligustic Sea. It has a double wall on the side of the earth, one of the interior walls, almost exactly closing the dwelling, and forming a kind of oval figure. It's this equipped with some baluards, who, having not been used in this siege, it's pointless to detail. It's the other exterior, and going up from the two sea points up to a big height of the mountain. This second neighborhood makes the city almost a triangle; As you end up on the tip of the high seas, it comes down from the legs, forming almost the two sides, which are closed and brought together by the sea. Strong Varj look at this wall tour. On the top is that of the Sperone. To the side of the Ponent, more than half, there is the other saying of the Tenals, and at the end of it there is another one called St. Benigno. This produces, which on that side is almost unstoppable in the city of Genoa; This is all the more so because the locality is so well placed to defend it, that little or no hope gives the besiegers to take it. It is not the same on Levant's side, where, being dominated outside some heights, it was considered useless to raise the strong others. In the absence of this, a kind of parallel has been made, or rather a covered journey, which by fortifying those same heights, which dominate the city, supplant this defect; Therefore, those who defend Genoa must maintain this external line, and those fortifications, which are the Mount of Rats, on the top of which is the Forte d'Quezzi; Forte Richelieu, which was made by the famous marshal of that name when he occupied Genoa; S's. Tecla, and the Madonna of Albaro. Higher than the sperone, and almost perpendicular to it, is the strong of the diamond, which dominates the sperone itself, although some believe it is a little too far away; but it is also extremely important for the besieged, giving a great deal of support to the operations of other external fortifications. Between the Diamond, and the Sperone, there's the Mount of Two Brothers, which makes two different points: this situation is very remarkable, because it produces the meeting between the besieged, and could take the external works of Levant's line behind him; But because you were afraid of the crossfire of the fires of Sperm and Diamond, it's very difficult to take over them, although you had a certain site that I said was immune from the artillery of both the strong. On the seaside side, many beautiful batteries defend the city, and the harbor, not that the maritime walls also protected by nature. These batteries that I've been reassembled lately have taken all the pain away from that side. The most beautiful are those of the Witch, the quarry, both the Molas, and the Lantern. On the Ponente side is the river of Polcevera; On Levante's side, the needy. Albaro is a small, delicious borgo, which is almost a mile near Genoa on this side, just as the vaguely equal of St. Pier d'Arena’.
The city's coat of arms has always been linked to the political vicissitudes of Genoa: In the last period of the Republic, the coat of arms consisted of a crusader shield with royal crown under two crosses with twisted tails, but since they were placed under French power, the destruction of the old signs was decreed after the Jacobine revolution in 1797 and the two archaldic figures of the city's coat of arms were abolished. In 1816, at the request of the General Council of the City Corps, Genoa obtained from King Vittorio Emanuele I the municipal sign ‘[...] with red cross in white, shield neck surrounded by rockets [...] with tails between the legs’, as a sign of submission. This coat of arms was in use until 1897, when the municipal council asked and obtained from Umberto I of Savoia on March 21, 1897, the right to exhibit the current coat of arms with the tail of the two griphones positioned outwards, in memory of their past dignity. After more than a century and a thorough historical survey, the civic administration has modified the tails of the gridlines to place them on their own. Furthermore, the base of the coat of arms is ripped off on each side of the rostronzeo di di rostrônia di ronazionale per l'boar, which was fished in the port of Genoa in 1597 and detained at the Royal Armeria of Turin.
The flag of Genoa, or St George's Cross, consists of a red cross on a white field, and in ancient times it was a symbol of the pilgrims who were going to the holy sites of Christianity and who, after 1095, the year of conquest of Jerusalem by the seljuvenile Turks, moved largely (at first) by a sincere spirit of mission, They decided to take the cross and arm themselves to liberate the land where Jesus was born and lived, in response to the repeated attacks suffered by the Turks, decided - overwhelmed by the Arabs - to push themselves into the conquest of the Byzantine empire. The symbolism of the "salvific banner of the true cross" - as Jacopo da Varazze pointed out on the cross of St George - at the same time, for armed pilgrimages, led to the designation of Crusaders. The use of the banner by the genoesis seems to date back to remote times, when the Byzantine army was stationed in the city and the banner of the garrison (a red cross in the white field) was brought to homage in the small church of St George, in the old square of the market, of Roman origin. In 1990, London and England requested and obtained the possibility of using the Crossflag of Genoa on their ships, in order to have the protection and respect enjoyed by the Genoa fleet in the area it controlled, in the Mediterranean Sea and in part of the Black Sea, thereby avoiding the numerous attacks of piracy; For this privilege, the English monarch corresponded to the Doge of the Republic of Genoa an annual tribute. England, the city of London and the Royal Navy hoisted the flag of St George, and the sign is part of the Union Jack, the British national flag.
The historian Francesco Maria Accinelli incorrectly points out the Milan coat of arms as a bypass of the Genoa coat of arms: "[...] And sent from the Republic 500 whalesweepers with the above sign to the rescue of the Milanese in 1247, exaggerated with their value the Victory City newly built by Federico II near Parma, they wanted the Milanese to assume greater honor of the banner de 'Genovesi the sign', which dates back to 1066, when the sign The effigy was officially handed over by Pope Alexander II (the Milan Anselmo da Baggio) to Erembaldo, captain of the people of Milan in revolt against the empire.
Since 2014, the city has had a new logo to promote its image: Genoa More Than This, which was born from the European Urbact-CityLogo.
Genoa is one of the cities decorated with military value for the Liberation War because she received a gold medal for military value for the sacrifices of her people and for her work in the partisan resistance during World War II:
|Military gold medal|
|"Love of Homeland, sorrow of oppressed people, proud spirit of rebellion, animated his people in the 20 months of hard struggle whose martyrdom is shining to the glory of the "Superba" Marinara, the 1863 fallen whose blood was not scattered in vain, the 2250 deportees whose martyrdom It still burns in the meat of the survivors, they are the banner that lifted up on the tormented city that infuriated the partisans of the Massif Appennino and the valleys, kept by the VI Operational Area, to continue in the epic gesture until the day when its people played the diana of the general uprising. Fold the enemy's melancholy, he obtained the surrender of the strong German garrison, thus saving the harbor, industries and honor. The value, sacrifice and will of his children gave his bleeding mother back the concussed freedom and its burning ruins has created a new life sanctified by the heroism and Holocaust of his martyrs. 9 September 1943 - April 1945’|
- June 24: A patronage feast dedicated to St John the Baptist.
- First Sunday of July: Palio Marinaro, a palio which has been operating in the Gulf since 1955 and involves wooden fishing boats.
Monuments and places of interest
This entry or section on the Liguria topic is considered to be checked.
In Genoa, dozens of churches are located, the main and oldest of which are in the historic center. In several cases, they were born as chapels of kindness from the main urban families and thus a way to show their prestige. Among the most significant buildings are:
- St. Lawrence Cathedral: Built between the 9th and the late 14TH centuries in a Gothic way, it was consecrated by Pope Jealousy II in 118 when it was not yet completed. The 200th facade, with the characteristic black and white striped decoration, shows two bell towers - the left unfinished and completed in 1445 with a loggia - and three beautifully decorated portals. The interior is divided into three shuttles, the division of which is overridden by a fake matroneum. The four centuries - old chapel of St John the Baptist opens on the left aisle, an exceptional gallery of Renaissance sculpture. Among the most remarkable works of art are the 13TH century Audience of the 13th century above the main portal, frescoes of Bernardo Castello, Luca Changaso and Lazzaro Tavarone on the times and the major altar with the statue of Our Lady Queen of Genoa.
- Basilica of the Most Holy Annunciation of the vastate: Of medieval origins, it was renewed in the sixteenth century by Andrea Ceresola called the Vannone on behalf of the Lomellini family, who made her chapel of kindness. The vast baroque interior, with the words of Giovanni Carlone and Giovanni Andrea Ansaldo, contains works of the main authors of the Genoa baroque (Bernardo Strozzi, Domenico Piola, Giulio Cesare Procaccini, Gregorio De Ferrari, Gioacchino Assereto).
- St. Syro Basilica: One of the oldest churches in the city was the first Cathedral of Genoa before the construction of St. Lawrence. After a fire, it was completely rebuilt between the end of the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries. The famous Annunciation of Orazio Gentileschi and works by the Carlone, Domenico Fiasella, Domenico Piola, Pierre Puget and several other artists of the time.
- Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta in Carignan: commissioned by the Sauli family in 1552, it was renaissantly designed by the Peruvian architect Galeazzo Alessi. It has a central - plant structure overshadowed by a large dome, in the style of St Peter's Basilica in Rome, and famous statues of Pierre Puget and Filippo Parodi.
- Basilica of Santa Maria della Vigne: One of the oldest religious buildings in Genoa was built in a romantic style on a pre-existing temple. In 1640, he underwent a baroque-style transformation on the project of architect Daniele Colonna, preserving the 12th-century bell tower and cloister. It stores various works of art by 16th-17th century Ligurian artists and 18th and 19th century frescoes.
- Church of Saints Cosma and Damiano: located in the alleys at the foot of the hill of Castello, it has been certified since 1049. The current Romanesque structure dates back to the 12TH century, while the cover was rebuilt in the 17th century after the naval bombings of 1684.
- Church of St. Donato: Built in a romantic style from the twelfth century, it has a characteristic octagonal ring tower. It was restored in 1888 by Alfredo d'Andrade, who integrated the facade and added a third blind level to the tower. He hosts a famous Flemish politician from Joos van Cleve.
- St. Philip Neri's Church and Oratory: The complex was built, probably on the project of Peter Antonio Corradi, starting in 1674 with a testamentary legacy of Camillo Pallavicino. The inside of the Baroque - style church consists of a single, once - battered vault that reaches almost 20 meters high decorated by the bolognese Marcantonio Franceschini, while the oratory houses the famous Immaculate of Puget.
- St Luke's Church: Founded in 1888, in 1589, it became the chapel of the kindness of the Grimaldi and Spinola families, and in the next century it was reconstructed and expanded by the architect Carlo Muttone. Fully covered by the tardobaroque frescos of Dominic and Paul Gerolamo Piola, hosts the nativity, masterpiece of the Grechetto.
- Church and cloister of St. Matthew: It was founded in 1125 as a chapel of the Doria family. It was expanded in 1278 and decorated in the 500th century by the Tuscan sculptor John Angelo Montoralone, but it still has its medieval system. It preserves the frescoes of Luca Change and Giovan Baptista Castello and the tomb of Andrea Doria del Montoralone.
- St. Peter's Church in Banchi: The project was commissioned in 1580 by the Republic of Genoa as a vote to end an epidemic and was entrusted to architect manierist Bernardino Canton. It was built on the remnants of a Lomellini palace, which in turn had been built on the remains of the ancient church of St. Peter's at the gate, owned by the abbey of St. Columban in Bobbio, erected in the 9th century and destroyed by fire in 1398. The curious elevation is that the construction was financed by the rental of the bottles below it.
- Church of St. Cross and St. Camillo de Lellis: Located in the district of Portoria, it was built on the initiative of the Camillian fathers in 1667 and dedicated to the Holy Cross and to the founder of the religious order Camillo de Lellis. It contains a series of frescoes by Baroque painter Gregorio De Ferrari, his son Lorenzo De Ferrari and his student Francesco Maria Costa.
- Church and convent of Saint Mary of Castello: One of the oldest religious buildings in the city was built from 658 AD on the hill of Castello. The current three-way plant dates back to the 12th century and the complex was further modified in the 15th and 17th centuries. The adjacent convent is home to a museum with works by several important Ligurian artists in the 16TH century.
- St Stephen's Church: A rectangular and single-vault plant, it was built in a Romanesque style on the site of a pre-existing church of the 10th century, with traces remaining in the crypt. In 1896 the southern side was reduced to allow the construction of Via XX September.
- Comment of Saint John of Pré: The complex, made up of a church and a hospital, was built in 1180 by the German - Solimitan Knights as a shelter for pilgrims en route to the Holy Land. The Romanesque church was developed on two levels, which were accessible from the first two floors of the hospital. In 1751, a new entrance was opened, to allow access to the church from the outside.
- Church of St. Syro of Struppa: Located in the Struppa district and dating back to the 11TH century, it is one of the main historical monuments of the Valbisagno. In the twentieth century, it underwent major restructuring. He maintains a politician depicting Saint Syro attributed to Pier Francesco Sacchi.
- Other important religious architectures outside the historical center are the Certosa of Rivarolo, the Church of St Martin of Albaro, the Church of St Mary of the Cella in Sampierdarena, the Church of Saints Nicolò and Erasmus in Voltri, the synagogue of Genoa that was the largest synagogue built in Italy during the fascist period.
The same monumental cemetery has been built since 1835 by the architect Carlo Barabino, who hosts the burials of many illustrious genoesis of the 19th and 20th centuries, and has a remarkable history of cemetery art in the 19th century.
The historical center of Genoa is one of the most densely populated areas in Europe, with an urban structure, in the oldest part, articulated as it is in a maze of squares and narrow carugges. It unites a medieval dimension with successive fifty - century and Baroque interventions (St Matthew Square and the old Aurea Street, later turned into Garibaldi Street).
The remains of the ancient walls are visible near the Cathedral of St. Lawrence, the place of worship par excellence of the Genoese.
The city's symbols are the ancient and swing light Lantern (117 m high) visible from the sea (over 30 km high) and the monumental fountain of De Ferrari Square, restored, beating heart and town agora.
The tourist destination par excellence is also the ancient mariner borough of Boccadasse, with the picturesque multicolored boats, seated as the seal of the elegant walk along the Albaro Lido, and renowned for its famous ice cream.
Just outside the center, but still part of the 33 kilometers of coastline within the town, are Nerves, a natural gateway to the Riviera di Levante and Pgli, a natural gateway to the Riviera di Ponente.
The new Genoa has based its renaissance mainly on the restoration of the green areas of the immediate hinterland (including that of the Beigua Regional Natural Park) and the construction of infrastructure projects such as the Aquarius at the ancient port - the largest in Italy and one of the largest in Europe - and its navy (the marina that can accommodate hundreds of recreational craft). All of this is part of the renovated Area Expo, which was prepared for the Colombian celebrations of 1992.
The city's regained pride returned to its awareness of being a city that can look to the future without forgetting its past: the resumption of many rich artisanal activities, long absent from the cartoons of the historic center, is a direct testimony to this.
The restoration work carried out between the 1980s and 1990s on numerous churches and city buildings, including the Renaissance of the Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta on the Hill, which was visible from almost every part of the city, contributed to this.
The total recovery of the Ducale Palace - once home to doges and senators and now a site of cultural events - and the ancient port and the rebuilding of the Carlo Felice Theater, destroyed by the bombings of the Second World War that spared only the neoclassical pronoun of the architect Carlo Barabino, were two other assets for the realization of a new Genoa.
Another prominent monument, which has been revived, is the Staglieno Monumental Cemetery, in which the remains of many well-known figures are rested, including Giuseppe Mazzini, Fabrizio De André and Oscar Wilde's wife.
With its skyline feature, which makes it appear as an insurmountable fortress, characterized as it is by its dense network of hilly fortifications on large walls, which made it inescapable in ancient wartime times of both sea and land attacks - Genoa could not renovate and modernize itself, especially since the 1960s It was necessary, as in so many other cities, to go through the construction of large housing complexes of a popular type, the quality, usefulness and functionality of which has been and is still being discussed (and sometimes contested) by resident citizens. For example, the so-called "biscione" building, a long-coiled building located on the highs of the populous Marassi district, the group of houses called "The Washers" in the Pra district, and the so-called "Begato Dams" designed by Piero Gambacciani, is a case in point.
For other architectural solutions that have characterized it, Genoa has for some decades become a capital of modern Italian, if not European, architecture. This is mainly due to the work of architect Renzo Piano, who since the late 1980s has been involved in the renovation of some of the world's most famous cities.
The name of the plan has gained notoriety since 1992, when Genoa welcomed for the Colombian Celebrations of 1992 (Colombian) visitors to the ancient port, the waterfront of the waterfront completely restored for the occasion and symbolized by the Great Bigo stylized (sort of Genevan port business.
In addition to a complete restyling of the area, the ancient port area near the Mandrazzo crossing in Port Siberia has been enriched by the plan, with a large metal and glass ball installed in the port's waters, not far from the Aquarium, inaugurated at the G8 Summit in Genoa in 2001. The sphere (also called the "Plan Bubble" or "Biosphere"), after being used for an exposure of cats by the Botanical Garden of Genoa, now hosts within it the reconstruction of a tropical environment, with many plants, small animals and butterflies.
The plan also designed the underground railway stations for the Superba and, in the hilly area of the city, designed and began construction - in collaboration with UNESCO - in Punta Nave, the headquarters of the "Renzo Plan Building Workshop". The Viadotto Genova San Giorgio, designed by Plan and inaugurated in 2020, which replaces the first Polish viaduct that suddenly collapsed in 2018 and caused 43 deaths, is accompanied by the Polcevera Park and the Red Circle designed by Stefano Boeri, which is currently under construction.
Especially for those who cross the center of Genoa along the elevated road, perhaps to embark on the nearby ferry terminal, the so-called Matitone is visible in the vicinity of the ancient port, controversial as the unique lapis skyscraper, which accompanies the WTC tower group, the heart of the San Benigno building complex, which is also home to part of the municipal and municipal administration. many companies.
Old, old and new gardens are located in hilly parks, just right next to the city. In addition to giving an important testimony to the history of the "dominant of the seas", some of them are occasionally used for concerts, parties and various events. On the other hand, many others are not valued at all, in particular many bunkers and batteries from World War II are left unattended and degraded, instead of being restored and returned to a decorative state as a historical tourist.
Natural areas and public parks
Genoa is rich in parks and gardens that are accessible to the public, whether on the sea or on the heights on which the city climbs, the largest natural complex in Genoa, with 876 hectares, is the Urban Park of the Walls, which incorporates the park of Peralto, where we find Forte Sperone, the top of the 100-strong wall of the city.
The major parks, in addition to the park of the Walls, are the Nerves Parks, where three historic villas form together with their three parks connected to each other (nine hectares of extension), a rare green complex of beauty in a natural environment of excellence, which is reachable from the beautiful Anita Garibaldi walk from the rocks on the sea.
In the center and in the north of the city, there are numerous small parks and historic gardens, such as the cross villa park, which hosts several contemporary art exhibitions throughout the year, the Negro Villetta, the Aquasola park, designed by architect Nicolò Barabino, the gardens of the White Palace and the Doria-Tursi Palace, the park of the Albertis Castle, which was the residence by Captain Alberto d'Albertis (1846-1932), navigator, explorer and scholar, seat of the world's cultural museum.
In the town bridge, there is the Duchessa villa park in Galliera, which covers 25 hectares, linked to the Brignole-Sale building in Pgli, the park of the Durazzo-Pallavicini villa, which hosts the Ligure Archeology Museum and the Botanical Garden created in 1794 by Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi. The Highlands of the Urban Bridge are partly included in the Beigua regional nature park, which is the largest regional park in Liguria on the sea, and partly in the Mt. Penello and points Martin.
Revolving beyond the already mentioned parks of Nerve, there are other villas, such as villa Gambaro, villa Carrara, which offers a particular deal of water, and villa Quartara. In the Quinto Sea hills are the Urban Park of Mt. Fasce and Moro, where the remains of a coastal battery put in defense of the city during World War II.
Of the 14 metropolitan cities of Italy, the town of ligure is third per area, sixth per municipal population and its agglomeration, and the fifth city of the country by economic movement. Its large metropolitan area is the seventh of the country by population and the fourth by extension, resulting in a low population density, mainly due to the presence of appennial landslides between the coast and the metropolitan hinterland. In order to overcome this urban discontinuity, special associations have been set up to protect Apennine Green Areas (e.g. the Beigua Regional Park), which have transformed the status of these areas into metropolitan parks.
At 31 December 2011, the municipality of Genoa had 606 978 inhabitants, according to the local statistical office, of which 285 337 were male and 321 641 females, representing approximately 76% of the entire urban area in Genoa of over 800 00 inhabitants. The population is predominantly of Italian origin. The number of immigrants is growing (in 2003 the number of immigrants has returned to being higher than the number of immigrants, keeping it up to now, with the exception of the years 2006 and 2007): as of 31 december 2011, there were 54,521 foreigners (25,455 males and 29,066 females), representing 9.0% of the total population. The majority of Ecuadorians, from 3 048 in 2000 to 17 436 in 2011 (the year in which they represent 31.98% of resident foreigners).
After subdued growth in the second half of the 19th century, when many genoesis migrated to the Americas, the city experienced a population explosion for much of the 20th century, owing to the growing port and metal industry. A first phase of immigration from the valleys of Genoa and Lower Piedmont followed, after World War I, a considerable influx of Venetians and Friulans.
In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, the population explosion was emphasized by internal immigration, mainly from the south of Italy (in particular from residents of Sicily and Sardinia), which caused urban difficulties due to the lack of flat-floor building sites, resulting in the massive urbanization of hillside areas behind the city center and the outlets.
Population growth has come to a halt and has become a regression. The population increased from over 816 000 in 1971 to around 610 000 in 2001: Genoa has lost a quarter of its population in 30 years. The average age of residents, which is particularly high in some districts, is also a contributory factor, resulting in more deaths than in the number of births (in 2011 there were 4 411 births compared with 8 190 deaths).
Comparing the population figures of the 1981 census with the population of 2001, the population of Genoa varied from 762 895 to 610 307 inhabitants, a decrease of 152 588, which corresponds to a negative change of about 20%. Unlike most other densely populated cities, which have had a decline in their residents over the same years, where a loss of population in the capital has resulted in an average increase in the population of the municipalities in the same province, which can compensate for the first or even exceed it, in the case of Genoa the population of the other 66 municipalities in the province has also decreased, from 282 214 inhabitants in 1988 1 to 267 775 inhabitants in 2001, a decrease of 14 439, which corresponds to a negative change of approximately 5.1%. However, the tourist rapalization along the coast of levante, and the expansion of construction linked to the activities of the industrial ports of Genoa, Savona and Go Ligure, have been linked to the coastal municipalities in a single conurbation of more than 800 000 inhabitants, thereby reconfirming its metropolitan reality beyond its local borders.
The average age of the genoesis (at 31/12/2010) is 47.2 years, with a peak of 48.8 years in the municipality (former constituency) of the Middle East. The old age index (between the over 65 and the under 15) is 233.2 (i.e. there are 233.2 people aged 65 and over for every 100 young people under 15), with extremes in the municipalities of Val Polcevera (199.1) and Lower Valbisagno (Italy) 262(8); in 2001, the age of the citizen was 245.1.
In Genoa, the average number of household members at 31/12/2010 stood at 1.99 and there were 302 656 households 43.9% of households were composed of one component (132 960 households), 27.5% of households (83 310) 4 households), 16.9% from three persons (51 141 households), 9.4% from four persons (28 522 households) and the remaining 2.2% (6 719 households) with five or more members.
In 2011, 1 534 marriages were celebrated (570 with religious ceremony and 964 with civil ceremony), 28 more than in 2010 (+1.9%); since 2007 (when 2007 was the year 2087) there has been a sharp decline in the total number of marriages, despite the fact that the resident population has changed little. The average annual number of marriages per decade had been declining for some time (4380 in the 1970's, 3075 in the 1980's, 2551 in the 1990's, and 1928 in the first decade of the new century), but this was partly attributable to the decline in the general population. Marriages between divorced people in 2011 accounted for 42.3% of civil services and 26.5% of total marriages. Since 2004, the number of marriages has been higher than that of religious marriages (mainly because of the increase in marriages in which at least one of the spouses is divorced).
As of 31 December 2011, according to municipal data, the most populous municipality was Central Eastern, with 90 098 residents and a population density of 127.30 inhabitants per hectare, while the most densely populated one was West Center, with 140.93 inhabitants per hectare, for a total of 68 378 residents.
The territory of the municipality of Genoa took on the current extension in 1926 with the addition of 19 neighboring municipalities. At the 1931 census (the first after annexation) the population was calculated at 590 736 units, higher than the last census in 2011, in which the population was 586 180 inhabitants.
Ethnicity and foreign minorities
According to Istat data of 31 December 2019, 58 847 foreign nationals live in Genoa, representing 10.2% of the population, divided by nationality, listing the most significant attendance:
- Ecuador, 13 083
- Albania, 6 383
- Romania, 5 543
- Morocco, 4 944
- China, 2 825
- Senegal, 2289
- Ukraine, 2 208
- Peru, 2 177
- Bangladesh, 2,026
- Nigeria, 1 590
Although the city is known for its past socialist and communist sympathies and for being a left-wing city (it was in Genoa that the first agglomeration was born in 1892, which will be called the Italian Workers' Party, a Reggio in Emilia in 1893 and then Parma in 1895, the Italian Socialist Party), A balance has always existed between local authorities and the Catholic Curia, which, for its part, has expressed strong personalities like that of Cardinal Joseph Siri.
The Genoa Left itself has rarely taken anti-clerical positions and the coexistence between these two souls has sometimes led to compromises between both sides, as in the case of the mediations of Cardinal Giuseppe Siri between the vans and the Genovese Port Authority. Towards the end of World War II, the Cardinal himself, when he was still vicar-general of Archbishop Boetto, had acted as a mediator between citizenship and the German occupying administration, effectively saving the port of Genoa from destruction, before the German forces abandoned it.
Genovesi were Pope Benedict XV and Cardinal Siri, while Archbishop Angelo Bagnasco was born in the province of Brescia to a Genoa family. Fr Gianni Baget Bozzo, a political scientist, was nationally known for a period close to the Ukrainian current of the Italian Socialist Party (for which he was a Member of Parliament from 1989 to 1994) and among the founders of Force Italy, and Fr Andrea Gallo, founder of the San Benedetto Community in Porto and close to the anti-globalization movements.
There are many Saints and Blessed of Genoa or Genoa birth, witnesses of the Christian faith in Genoa and Liguria, among them: Catherine Fieschi Adorno, Francesco Maria da Camporossa, Agostino Roscelli, Eugenia Ravasco, Tommaso Reggio, Benedetta Change Frassinello, Gianna Beretta Molla, Luigi Orione, Virginia Centurione Bracelli, Paola Frassinetti.
A number of Marian shrines are located in the municipal territory, while the most well - known, traditional pilgrimage destination in the Genoa area, the shrine of Our Lady of Guardia on Mount Figña, is located in the nearby town of Ceranesi. Finally, the shrine of Our Lady of Victory, erected by the Republic of Genoa near the Pass of Pertuso, in the municipality of Mignanego, should also be mentioned, in memory of the victory of the Genoese on 10 May 1625 over the army of the Duke of Savoy Carlo Emanuele I. The unhoped - for victory, achieved with the help of many polceveraschi volunteers, was attributed to the intercession of the Virgin Mary.
Institutions, bodies and associations
- International Evangelical Hospital, a civilized ecclesiastical institution
- The 1886-year-old XIX was founded in Genoa in Piazza Piccapietra. In addition, the local editorial office of the La Repubblica is located in Genoa.
- Corriere Mercantile was a newspaper in Genoa, which was closed in crisis in July 2015. It was one of the oldest newspapers in Italy.
- The historical daily work of Genoa, after moving to the Editorial Group L'Espresso has been incorporated into La Repubblica (newspaper), thus passing from an independent newspaper to a local supplement.
- Born in 1976, Radio Babboleo is one of the first free radio stations in Italy and the most widely heard in Liguria.
- Radio Nostalgia.
- Radio 19 is owned by the 19th century and broadcast live from the headquarters of the newspaper.
- Blue antenna
The city has been awarded the title of European Capital of Culture for 2004.
Higher Studies and Academies
- University of Genoa (with decentralized offices in Imperia, Pietra Ligure, Savona, Chiavari and La Spezia)
- Niccolò Paganini Conservatory
- Italian Academy of Merchant Shipping
- Academy of Sciences and Letters
- Academy of Fine Arts
Libraries and archives
- University Library of Genoa
- Berio Library
- Franzoniana Library
- Lercara Library
- Conservatory's Music Library
- International Library for Children Edmondo de Amicis
- Library of the Society Ligure di Storia Patria
- State Archives of Genoa (which, inter alia, hold the official documents of the Republic of Genoa and the Banco di San Giorgio; also keeps the archives of the city's notaries since 1154)
There are also many local libraries.
- Italian Institute of Technology
- New Street Museums
- Ducale Palace
- Royal Palace
- Galata - Museum of the Sea
- Museum of the Treasury of the Cathedral of St. Lawrence
- Diocesan Museum
- Museum of Cultures of the World
- Edoardo Chiossone Eastern Art Museum
- Natural History Museum Giacomo Doria
- Museum of Saint Augustine
- Teatro Carlo Felice
- National Theater, Court Theater, Duse Theater, Gustavo Modena Theater, Market Hall (Archive Theater)
- Politeama Genovese
- Saint Augustine Theater, seat of the Cough Theater
- Theatro Cargo
- Youth Theater
- Theater Rina and Gilberto Govi
- Garage Theater
- Green Theater
- Theatro Von Pauer
- Genoa Fair
- Cotton warehouses
- Natural Hall of Genoa (since 1962)
- Rolli Days (since 2009)
- Euroflora (since 1966)
- Goa-Boa Festival (since 1998)
- Science Festival (since 2003)
- Paganini Prize (since 1954)
- Confire (since the 14th century)
- Genoa International Poetry Festival (since 1995)
- Suq Festival (since 1999)
- Genoa Open Challenger (since 2003)
- TED (since 2001)
- Nerve International Ballet Festival (since 1955)
- Voice and Time (since 2016)
- Circumnavigating festivals (since 2000)
This entry or section on the topic of population centers in Liguria does not mention the necessary sources or the sources present are insufficient.
There is little information about musical activity in the early years of the city's history. And even later, the powerful Republic of Genoa, for many years, has been paying more attention to trade and the maintenance of its own colonies.
A discreet presence, worthy of being highlighted, is still recorded in the days of the troubadors, and one of the most representative figures responds to the name of Lanfranco Cigala (who died in about 1258), a legal man, a good acquaintance of the Occitan language familiar to him for frequent trips to Provence as a diplomatic representative of the Republic of Genoa.
A group of bourgeoisie, also mostly jurists (Bonifacio Calvo, Lucchetto Gattilusio, Percivalle and Simone Doria), is gathering around him, creating a trobadoric cenacle among the most important in Italy. They met in the house of Lanfranco, their undisputed vate, to discuss, read and inspire the rhythm of the most famous people in the Provençal opera.
In the following years, references to musical life in Genoa can only be found by consulting ecclesiastical archives, as such activity is supported and promoted by the church and local nobility. The musicians mentioned above come mainly from neighboring regions: Franchino Gaffurio (Lodi, 1451-1522), priest and musical theorist at the service of the Adorno family; Vincenzo Ruffo (Verona, 1510-1587), composer, chapel master in the cathedral of Verona and Milan, in Genoa at the service of Andrea Doria.
In the late 1950s, the city's musical life was greatly enhanced by the initiatives of the Cathedral of St. Lawrence, which recruits singers and instrumentalists to form a massive musical organic made up of a chorus of 65 elements and 34 orchestrals.
During this period, two masters of chapel, both genovesis, Giovanni Battista Dal (Della) Gostena (1558 approximately-1593), also author of madrigals and works for liuto and the grandson Simone Molinaro (1565-1615), whose musical themes were used by Ottoraro Invite Respect for some of the Ancient Arie and Danze, Suite number 1. Another important organist of the Cathedral was Michelangiolo Rossi (1601/2-1656), one of the best pupils in Frescobaldi.
It is no coincidence that Niccolò Paganini (1782-1840), the most illustrious Genoa musician, held his first concerts in various churches of the city. Paganini was also an innovative composer who was hailed as a violinist of exceptional virtuosity, and wrote a number of important works for his instrument (including 24 Capricci, Variations, Concertations, 'Moto Perpetuò Sonate à mouvement perpetual 1831-1835). His teachers were Giacomo Costa, and Francesco Gnecco.
His prodigious technique has come to this day through some musicians who have handed it over. The outstanding chain begins with Camillo Sivori (1815-1894), his only pupil, who in turn teaches Francis (a great didatta until recently forgotten) and Joseph Gaccept.
In 2000, a foundation was set up at the behest of Gaccept, entitled to Francesco syphilio. The memory of Paganini is held alive by the Institute of Paganiniani Studies, whose animator Alma Brughera Capaldo, editor of the interesting "Newsmen". Every two years, the municipality of Genoa organizes the Paganini prize, an international contest for violin, to reward new young talent. Since its founding he has been awarded a degree for important artists, including György Pauk, Gérard Poulet, Salvatore Accardo, Gidon Kremer, The ja Grubert and, more recently, Massimo Quarta, Giovanni Angeleri, Leōnidas Kavakos, Ilja Gringol c and Shoji Sayaka. In the closing evening, the winner of the prize has the honor of playing the violin paganini performed: A Jesus Guardian of 1743 called the "Cannon of paganini".
Among the many genoese violinists worthy of mention, we recall Giovanni Antonio Guido who, in France, where he had emigrated, achieved a remarkable success with the work Harmonic Jokes over the four seasons of the year, op. 3 (in imitation of the Vivaldi ones); Cesare Pugni, in addition to the virtuous violinist, also composer of works, instrumental music and ballets. There wasn't much of a romantic dancer who didn't perform in choreographies about the music of Punch.
Genoa has always been a harbor for many important musicians. The gathering point is the Falcone Theater (owned by the Adorno Family), which opened in 1652. They've been through this theater. Horses, Lots, Monteverdi, Galipas, Cimarosa, etc. In the second half of the 16TH century Alexander Stradella, an important figure from the Italian average Baroque, composer of melodramas, extroverted personality between a life devoted to composition and a life on strike, was established in Genoa.
Many of the artists who were born in Genoa found important recognition in the various sectors of the music world, working mainly abroad: Carlo Emanuele Barbieri, composer of numerous plays and ballets, a well - regarded director in the field of operatics and since 1862 director of the National Theater in Budapest; Michele Novaro, the second tenor and master of the choirs of the Theater Regio of Turin, composer of several hymns, including the Italian national anthem on the text of Godefdo Mameli; Margherita Carose, one of the greatest sopranos of her time, with a career of almost 50 years in all the most important theaters in the world; Piero Guelfi, a baritone operating around the middle of the 20th century; Giuseppe Barzizza, known as Pippo Barzizza, conductor and composer of the Italian version, and author of a treaty on modern orchestration in light music; Angelo Francesco Lavagnino, a great violinist and composer of chamber music, sacred and theatrical symphony and many soundtracks of film; Natalino Otto, initiator of the gender swing in Italy, an innovator in the field of light music; Giancarlo Purchases and scholars from the Baroque period (director of the "monographic anthology from Baroque to the times of ours") and composer.
In the 1960s, a movement was born in Genoa which, in other words, forms and musical texture, seems to follow the philosophy of the trobador cenacle of Lanfranco Cigala: A group of young people from different poetry and music backgrounds find an ideal meeting place in Genoa. The influence of the French chansonnier, in some of them, is clear. In the collective imagination, they are called singers-authors. The genoesis of birth are two: Umberto Bindi and Fabrizio De André.
Bindi, musically the best prepared, comes with a refined, articulated melody. His Goodbye (1959) has a remarkable renovation of the Italian song. De André takes precedence over his poetic vein and his great attention in choosing the stories and topics he deals with. Its simple and effective melodiation makes it easy for the people to understand. After a slow start, so much so that he meditated on abandonment, he obtained a sudden, unexpected success with Marinella's song that marks the turning point in his career.
Ivano Fossati, one of the most cultured artists on the Italian music scene, is a musician rather than a singer - author, author of memorable songs written for others, born and lives in the town of ligure. The other songwriters come from different backgrounds, as are their initial activities. Gino Paoli was born in Monfalcone: originally a graphic painter, without specific musical knowledge, dedicates himself to the song randomly, but that doesn't stop him from ringing a long series of successes from The Sky in a room to the taste of salt, no end, etc.
Luigi Tenco was born in Cassine but his family moved to Genoa when he was about ten years old. More than in others, the chansonnier's Influence IS felt: Prévert, Kosma (their Feuilles mortes walks in love with you), Brassens, Brel. Finally, Bruno Lauzi, born in Asmara but raised in Genoa, author, among many songs, of The Poet that could be considered the "manifesto" of this group of creatives. Ironic, melancholic, realistic, despite the many successful songs, there is a certain indifference on the part of the critics and the record writers.
Genoa's popular polivocal song is the theater.
It was in Genoa that in 1574 the First Pastoral Corporation was formed with its own statutes (Chapters of the Art of the Fidelars). In addition to the paternity claim for pesto, Genoa's seal, blue-jeans and the lot game, Genoa also links its name to the birth, along with other cities, of the taste of the aperitif.
In the concept of an extended metropolitan area, the territory covers the whole of the Metropolitan City of Genoa and the Province of Savona, the urban cordon made up of the coastal municipalities of the Riviera dei Fiori in the Province of Imperia and Riviera Spezzina in the Province of Spzia, and the territories of the West and Novese, outside regional borders, and belonging administratively to Piemonte (Province of Alexandria), totaling 4.4.4 836,84 km² and 1,539,669 inhabitants.
The coastline is frequently urbanized; There are few anthropological elements only in the vicinity of the Portofino Regional Natural Park and some parts of the coastline, particularly in the Five Terres, between Deiva Marina and Framura, near Punta Mesco, Punta Manara and Punta Baffe, around Zoalle, in the Vent area, the Plani d'Invrea area and near the Celle Ligure Mountain in Finland and Punta Murena; The hinterland stretches along the Appennino Ligure, the height of which is reached by Mount Maximus with its 1,809m. Various protected areas have been set up along the site, such as the Beigua Regional Natural Park, the Antola Regional Natural Park, the Aveto Regional Natural Park, the Bric Tana Regional Natural Park, the Piana Crixia Regional Natural Park, the Marcarolo Huts Nature Park.
The main watercourses are: Letimbro, Sansobbia, Cerusa, Leira, Polcevera, the Bisagno, Entella, Petronio and Vara which flow into the Ligure Sea; The Bormida, the Stura, the Orb, the Lemme, the Desk and the Trebbia, which are subfluent of the Po. Numerous small Apennine lakes, many of them artificial. One of the most relevant is Lake Brugneto.
Although the metropolitan area is not an institutionalized concept, unlike the metropolitan city, it is formed in the case of Genoa by the continuity of certain territories, linked for geographical, urban, socio-cultural, economic, linguistic and historical reasons. The territory extends beyond the regional administrative boundaries and covers virtually the entire region, except for the non-coastal municipalities of the provinces of Imperia and La Spezia. Five large areas, two power stations in the metropolitan area (Genoa City and Savona Province) and three suburbs (Riviera dei Fiori, Riviera Spezzina and Oltregiogo) are identified. Of these three, two are the metropolitan coast corridor, and the third is the natural hinterland.
|Metropolitan City of Genoa||Genovesate; Tigullio||Liguria||Metropolitan City of Genoa||1 833.79||851,987|
|Province of Savona||Palm Riviera; Montenegro; Inact||Province of Savona||1 546.29||279,754|
|Riviera||Only the coastal municipalities||Province of Imperia||263.22||180,049|
|Riviera Szzina||Only the coastal municipalities, including those of the 50s, excluding Sarzana||Province of Spezia||202.09||124,071|
|Oltregiogo||Novese; Ovadese||Piemonte||Province of Alexandria||991.45||103,808|
|Metropolitan area of Genoa||Metropolitan City of Genoa; Province of Savona; Riviera dei Fiori; Riviera Pizzina; Oltregiogo||Liguria; Piemonte||the Metropolitan City of Genoa; Province of Savona; Province of Imperia; Province of spice; Province of Alexandria||4 836.84||1,539,669|
By the middle of the 19th century, the urban area of Genoa was the one defined by the masonry circle of the 16TH century, the so-called New Walls, divided into six regions called the Sestieri. The town's urban sprawl, motivated by the need to expand the city's borders to make way for new infrastructure and residential areas, began in 1874, when the common neighbors of the low value Bisagno Foce, Marassi, San Francesco di Albaro, San Fruttuoso, San Martino di Albaro and Staglieno were merged.
The process of setting up the ‘Grande Genoa’ was completed in 1926 with one of the largest territorial expansions carried out in Italy at the time. In the same years, the Fascist regime had carried out similar pooling operations in many large Italian cities, but the Genoa case was distinguished by the scale of the increase in the population and the geographical area, which involved, alongside small rural municipalities, real citizens with a strong identity such as Sampierdarena and Sestri Ponente.
With this expansion, the city's borders were brought west to Voltri, east to Nerve, north to Pontedecimo and Struppa, reaching a considerable size, bringing the town's population from 335,000 to 580,000 inhabitants. The common historians incorporated in the municipality of Genoa, which at the time were called "delegations" and now incorporated into the nine city halls, still largely remain unchanged in their original structure of small towns, with their centers and suburbs, cultures and traditions.
During the 1960's economic boom, all the neighborhoods were expanded with new buildings and new social neighborhoods were built, such as Ca'Nuova and the Biscione.
It's not hard to see how the inhabitants of the peripheral regions look at the city center as a different city, using the phrase to go to Genoa to report their intention to go to the city center. This combination of different locations, merged into a single urban and suburban reality, makes the city attractive and unique, similar in some ways to certain industrial urban agglomerations in England.
The city of Genoa is divided into nine large areas, known as municipalities, set up in 2007 by the municipal council of Genoa Each municipality has on average about 65 000 inhabitants and the two most populous are the center-east and the Lower Val Bisagno.
|City Hall||Pop. 31/12/14 (% of total)||Former constituencies|
|Center-East||88 030 (14.8%)||Prè-Molo-Maddalena, Oqueen-Lagaccio, Castelletto, Portoria|
|Center-West||67 442 (11.4%)||Sampierdarena, San Teodoro|
|Low Val Bisagno||75 281 (12.7%)||Marassi-Quezzi, San Fruttuoso|
|Media Val Bisagno||56 848 (9.6%)||Barn, Molassana, Strupe|
|Valpolcevera||62 017 (10.5%)||Rivarolo, Bolzaneto, Pontetenth|
|Middle East||60 486 (10.2%)||Sestri Ponente, Cornigliano|
|Bridge||60 126 (10.1%)||Volti, Pra, Phe|
|Medium Levant||59 450 (10.0%)||Foce, San Martino, Albaro|
|Levant||63 548 (10.7%)||Valle Sturla, Sturla-Fourth, Nerve-Quinto-Sant'Ilario|
In the Middle Ages, Genoa had the primacy of being the first city to reintroduce gold into Western monetation in a modern way, coining Genovine, quickly copied from Florence by weight and title and, even later, from Venice. The Genoa economic primacy has its apogeo at the end of the 1930s, when Pisa lost and trade is at its greatest splendor.
Genoa was home to the first labor and trade union movements in the 20TH CENTURY and the camal port workers cooperative (direct Caravan derivation).
In recent decades, its economy and the world of work have undergone significant changes, moving from a purely industrial concept based on the main industry, that of the port, to a more modern service-based approach (advanced tertiary services, tourism, trade, etc.).
In this sense, the recoveries of degraded areas in the valleys of the two main urban centers, Bisagno and Polcevera, must be considered. Genoa is also home to the nautical Hall, which is being held in the fairground area of the city, the main European recreational nautical exhibition.
Port activity is on the rise, although it has always been hampered by a lack of infrastructure support, especially for railways. In this sense, it is considered that the planned high-speed-high-capacity railway line Tortona/Novi Ligure-Genova (‘the third Youth Pass’), which will link Genoa to Rotterdam, can resolve some of these problems if it is completed.
Another new factor in Genoa is technological research. The Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) has recently been working alongside research centers (including the children's hospital of Gaslini). In addition, work is under way on the Erzelli Hill to build a scientific technology park, which includes the transfer to the hill of the former Faculty of Engineering of the University of Genoa.
Genoa is a modern industrial city with major companies and multinationals such as ‘Port of Genoa’ (which includes around 20 terminals including VTE), Leonardo’, Ansaldo Energia, Ansaldo STS, ERG, Piaggio Aerospace, Costa Crociere, RINA, Cantiere Navale di Genova Sestri Ponente; It is also a city of scientific and technological development and a city of art, culture and tourism (the historic center is rich in monuments such as Ancient Porto, Imperial Palace, Royal Palace, Ducale Palace, Red Palace, White Palace, Aquarium, International Fair, as well as many museums, castles, villas and nobility buildings, parks, historical boroughs such as Boccadasse and the oral Bathers of the far west (and the rising town).
Since the summer of 2017, it has been rediscovered in the city with a strong tourist attraction, as evidenced by the figures published by the Liguria Region, citing 7.6 million people in the summer season 2017.
Tourism is the main driver of the Aquarium of Genoa, its neighboring marine boroughs and the Europe's largest medieval historic center, marked by narrow and steep streets called Caruggi in Genoa.
Infrastructure and transport
The Genoa Node is the fast-moving road system which performs an external and internal hand-in-hand function in the city. It consists of the interchange of the motorways of the young people (A7 Milan - Genoa), the flowers (A10 Genoa - Ventimille), the blue or the Tyrrhenical (A12 Genoa - Rome) and the tunnels (A26 Genoa - Gravellona Toce), which run through the interior and flow upstream of the coastal areas of the city. The motorway network is connected to the fast-running road network from Sestri Ponente to Nerve, through the continuity of several arteries, equipped with their own unrestricted citizens, which enable the rapid-crossing of the city (Red Guido, Giuseppe Canepa, Aldo Moro Upper Road, Train of the Partisan Brigades and Pedemonagno Brigade Viale Brigade Tana Corso Europa).
The city is served by several state and provincial roads:
- Public Road 1 Via Aurelia, Rome - Ventimille;
- Val Trebbia, Genova - Piacenza road 45;
- Provincial Street 35 of the Youth, Genoa - Milan - Ponte Chiasso;
- Provincial Road 225 Val Fontanabuona, Chiavari - Boasi;
- Provincial Road 226 of Valle Scrivia, laccio - Busalla;
- State Road 456 of Turkey Asti - Genoa.
Part of the road system in Genoa is certain urban road routes, such as the "sea" and "upstream" bypass roads, as well as the coastline built in the years in parallel with the initial route of Aurelia.
The city served by two major national stations, Genoa Square Príncipe and Genoa Brignole.
In addition to the main stations, there are also twenty stations and stops for regional traffic, which serve the districts of Genoa.
From Genoa there are five railway lines, the coastline to the Genoa-Ventimilla bridge, the coastline to the levante Genoa-Pisa, the line Genoa-Ova-Acqui Terme (part of the historic Genoa-Asti) to the West and Aquese, the Youth branch and the Turin-Genoa railway. The two routes to northern Italy, both in the second half of the 19th century, are vital for the disposal of goods from the port of Genoa. In order to optimize the sorting of goods arriving at the port of Genoa and to speed up their transfer to their destinations in northern Italy and in central and southern Europe, a new line is being built between Genoa and Novi Ligure, mainly in the tunnel historically called ‘third pass’.
Genoa is also linked to the locality of Box (on the Apennines' side) by a small, metric track with a tourist destination; The railway, closed to operation from 2013 to allow for important work and reopened on 21 May 2016, joins small village towns in the countryside, and only slightly surpassed the ridge between the northern Ligure Sea and the Padana Plain.
The company responsible for managing the city's public services is the Mobility and Transport Company (AMT). Since the 1990s, the tariff offer has been characterized by the integration of means managed by AMT and trains running at stations in the city area, which allows the use of regional buses and trains using the same ticket. The company operates 142 bus and trolley bus lines with 2498 stops, Volabus and Drinbus services, 6 Taxibus lines, 17 additional lines, 1 disabled call service, 12 public lifts, the underground, 2 funicular lines, the Kremlin railway, the narrow track and the navebus.
Since 1990, a light underground railway line has been operating in the Ligure capital. The line has been progressively extended with great delays and several increases in the budgeted expenditure. The Genoa metro network has eight stations and connects the city center with the suburban district of Certosa (train station Brin).
In the past, the city was served by an extensive urban tramway network, the last line of which was cut off in 1966.
The public metropolitan transport offer in Genoa is structured by 9 urban lines with 53 stations spread throughout the city and distributed over the following services:
- 3 regional train lines with metropolitan service and 22 city stations (operated by Trenitalia under the service contract concluded with the Region of Liguria):
- Genoa-Box railway (AMT managed): Manin-Box section with metropolitan service and 3 city stations
- Metropolitan (managed by AMT): Brin-Brignole and 8 city stations
- Princely Granarolo (run by AMT) with 9 city stations
- Zecca-Righi ring (managed by AMT) with 7 city stations
- Sant'Anna unicular (run by AMT) with 2 city stations
- Navebus Pgli-Porto Antico (managed by AMT)
The four urban railway lines continue their journey, in their respective directions, serving the city and the metropolitan area. The following maritime services are added:
- Navetta ‘Genoa-Camogli’ (managed by Alimar and Gulf of Paradise — Maritime transport)
- ‘Genoa-Portofino’ shuttle (managed by Alimar and Gulf of Paradise — Maritime transport)
The port of Genoa includes the commercial port and the passenger port. The port complex has specific connotations for the different functionalities and port services. There are many activities in it, including trade in goods, oil, industrial goods and port and shipbuilding and ship repairs, port and rail mobility, and thus all the complex activities relating to passenger and tourist transport. The figures for 2008 are a total turnover of 55.66 million tons, with commercial traffic of 50.64 million tons and passenger traffic of 3.26 million tons. Further development and redesign of the aircraft is planned, the so-called Waterfront, with which new port areas and infrastructure will be built and some of the existing spaces reclassified.
The reality is that the tourist ports: that of Sestri Ponente (commercial port 2nd category I class); the historic port (commercial port 2nd category, Class I); the Duke of Abruzzi (commercial port 2nd category I class); The sea fair (unclassified tourist port) and the Nerve (public port 2nd category, IV class).
The International Columbus Airport is situated on an artificial peninsula built in the mirror of water in the vicinity of the Sestri Ponente region. It is the main hub of Liguria and the traffic generated in terms of passengers, although smaller than other airports, still accounts for about one and a half million passengers per year. On the other hand, the annual movement of goods, with a total of approximately 25 00 tons of cargo and mail, is the main result.
The following consulates shall have their headquarters in Genoa:
- Honorary general consulates
- Denmark, Honduras, Iceland, Principality of Monaco, Netherlands, Romania, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey.
- General consulates
- Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, Russia.
- Honorary consulates
- Albania, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Chile, Cyprus, Colombia, Congo, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, Gabon, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Haiti, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Senegal, South Africa, Switzerland, Ukraine, Uganda, Hungary, Uruguay.
- San Marino, Tunisia.
- Honorary Consular Agency
- United States of America.
- Consular Agency
The first formal twinning with the French town of Marseille, which has always been the first port in the Mediterranean, was established in 1958 because of its geographical and cultural proximity. Beyond the Atlantic Ocean, the second one, with Columbus in the United States in 1964, followed by several twinning with other European and non-European cities.
- Marseille, since 1958
- Columbus, since 1964
- Odessa, since 1979
- Baltimore, 1985
- Chio, since 1990
- River, since 2004
- Beyoğlu, since 2007
- Marsala, 2011
- Chiang Mai, 2018
- Carloforte, since 2020
- Calasetta, since 2020
Genoa has entered into "cooperation and friendship" and "understanding on tourism cooperation" agreements with many Italian and foreign cities, including major international business and tourist centers such as Barcelona, Belém, Athens, La Paz, St. Petersburg, Ekaterinburg, Kiev, Valparaíso, Santo Domingo, Hebron and Lyon, as well as collaborations with many other smaller towns.
on 24 October 2019 Genoa was designated as European Capital of Sport for 2024.
"You can't play soccer well in Genoa because there's a macaque."
The city hosts two major militant football teams in the national championship, Genoa and Sampdoria. Genoa, founded in 1893, is recognized as the oldest football club in Italy and won the first Italian championship in 1898, winning in total nine national championships between 1898 and 1924 and an Italian Cup in 1937. In recognition of this primacy, in 2011 Genoa was incorporated into the International Bureau of Cultural Capitals (IBOOC) - a sort of historical sports heritage of humanity - at the request of Xavier Tudela, president of IBOOC. In 2013, Genoa Cricket was admitted to the Club of Pioneers, an association which groups the oldest football clubs in the world. The other town team is Sampdoria, which was founded in 1946 by the merger of the historic Sampierdarenese companies (1899) and Andrea Doria (1895), which ranked among the winning teams in the highest ranks and in the European competitions, won the 1991 Series A championship. 1989-1990 European Cup and four Italian cup races. The two teams in their history faced each other several times in what is recognized as the Lanterna derby. Many other city teams are playing amateurish, among the oldest, with militancy in the past in major categories, including the Sestrese, Rivarolese and Molassana.
In 2002, the World Youth Revolution championships were held in Pà, and the rowing center was built in front of the train station in Genoa Pà, the first peripheral federal hub of Italian rowing.
Since September 2003, the Genoa Open Challenger, an international tennis tournament, has been on the table in Genoa.
The Genoa Cricket and Football Club Waterpolo was the volleyball section of the Genoa Cricket and Football Club, which in its history won the first four Italian male tournament. The other two Genoa leagues who won the highest Italian championship were: The gym company Andrea Doria eight times and the sport once screams. In addition: The Sports Company Nicola Mameli, the Sports Society Libertas and the Sports Society Nvi.
Genoa has been the target of a cycling tour of the Italian gyrus. The last four:
- 1992: chronoprolog, won by Thierry Marie;
- 2000: 17th stop, won by Álvaro González de Galdeano,
- 2004: chronoprolog, won by Bradley McGee;
- 2015: 2nd stop, won by Elia Viviani.
In 1934, the Appennino gyrus, one of the Italian classics, was organized in the Pontedecimo delegation.
The Lanterna Rally is a car rally, which takes place in Genoa and its hinterland. Another race is the Genovese Valleys Rally.
The municipality of CUS Genoa Rugby, which is a member of the A Series and Amatori Rugby Genoa, has its seat.
Igo Genoa Volley was a male volleyball team founded in 1979 and dissolved in 2010, and volleyball activities have been carried out since that date by the Genoa Volleyball Society, which has acquired the rights.
In the field hockey in Genoa there is an excellent tradition, and the local teams are quoted as: CUS Genoa, Hockey Club Genoa and Hockey Club Superba. There is also an ice hockey team.
Among the companies in the municipality are: the CUS Genoa, and the triumph Ligure.
Among the joint ventures devoted to the various disciplines of gymnastics, one can recall the historic Gymnastic Society Raffaele Rubattino, founded in 1894.
- You were
Genoa has a strong tradition in the practice of French Boxing Day (savate), which has been witnessed by the presence of numerous national and international sports associations. The city has also contributed to the evolution of discipline, so much so that some blows, although not widely used, are called "Genoa style."
The game of the Tambubble was very popular in the past. The Italian tambourine championship has been won several times by Genoa teams: Twelve times from the Barabino-Sampierdarenese society, four times from Sestrese, while the Rivarolese and the Genovese Palace society once won the title.
Genoa is an important international tourist attraction, the headquarters of the Yacht Club Italiano, the oldest sailing club in the Mediterranean, founded in 1879. The name of the city comes from Genoa Jib, the staple of Genoa, the only true Italian invention in the history of the recreational sail, a triangular sail similar to the ribbed for the first time by Raimondo Panario in 1926. In 2004 she was nominated for the 2007 America's Cup, which was later held in Valencia.
- Luigi Ferraris Stadium, capacity: 36 599 spectators + 144 seats in the press gallery.
- La Sciorba Stadium, capacity: 7 000 seats;
- Giacomo Carlini Stadium, capacity: 5 700 viewers;
- Stadium Croce, with a capacity of 1920, the town's main tennis stadium;
- Stadium in Albaro, the main stadium of swimming in the city: 5 000 viewers;
- Palasport Palafair, with a capacity of up to 20 000 seats;
- Palasport PalaMandrazzo;
- Palagice Festival Square;
- RDS Stadium, capacity according to configurations from 5000 to 6000 seats;
- Pool-Theater, ancient port area;
- Royalty camp in the Pà Calm Channel;
- Camp-School of Light Athletics at Villa Gentile.